If you or members of your organization are looking to understand how land use planning works in Ontario, the following may help. The City of Ottawa has put together a series of classes covering the basics (called Primer I and II) and specific topics, such as development charges.
The course materials are available at:
While these courses were developed with Ottawa in mind, most of the content is universal. You can use the material as is, or approach your Planning Department to create classes tailored to your municipality using the Ottawa material as a base.
The documentation for the specific classes:
- Planning Primer 1 – The Legislative Background for Planning in Ontario
- Planning Primer 2 – Development Review
- Development Charges
- Park Planning
- Residential Intensification and Infill
- Heritage Planning
- Secondary Planning Processes
- Natural Systems
- Planning for Healthy Communities